[click image to enlarge]
Parcel 42 is a large, long-vacant, District-owned parcel at the northeast corner of 7th Street and R Streets, NW, diagonally across from the Shaw Library. The District issued a request for proposals for the redevelopment of the property in April of this year. According to the schedule included with the request for proposals, the District expects to select a developer for the site in late fall of 2012.
The Washington Business Journal reported that the seven proposals were submitted by the following developers:
- Warrenton Group and Four Points LLC
- Thoron Development LLC
- Pounds Properties and Jubilee Housing
- United House of Prayer for All People
- Neighborhood Development Corporation
- Tensquare LLC and Chapman Development Group LLC
- Baywood Hotels and Dantes Partners
According to the article, deatils on the proposals have not yet been released by the District government. However, information regarding some of the developers is as follows:
- Four Points LLC is a co-developer of the Howard Theatre and Progression Place, the new mixed-use project being constructed at the corner of 7th and S Streets, NW, adjacent to the northern entrance to the Shaw-Howard University Metrorail station
- United House of Prayer for All People owns the property to the north of Parcel 42 and has developed several other projects in the Shaw neighborhood, including the newly constructed apartment building at
- 's mission is to "provide quality affordable housing and expanded life options for people with low-incomes". All of Jubilee's current properties are located in Adams Morgan.
- is a District-based developer with major projects on Georgia Avenue (including and the under-construction Heights on Georgia Avenue, both of which are mixed-use affordable housing projects each with approximately 70 units of housing) and two smaller projects in Shaw (902 T Street, NW, and 1915 6th Street, NW), among other projects.
- Chaprman Development Group is another District-based developer; Chapman's projects include the redevelopment, a 38-unit market-rate project on the 2600 block of 16th Street, NW, and the recently-completed , a mixed-use project with over 100 affordable housing units, on the 2300 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, SE
- is a Greenbelt-based hotel management and development company with over $500 million in assets. Baywood's portfolio includes mainstream brands such as Courtyard by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites, and Holiday Inn Express, as well as independent hotels. It has over 10 Maryland properties and one property in the District (the Comfort Inn at 1201 13th Street, NW).
Additional details on the site, and the District's request for proposals, are below. (The following information appeared in an earlier on this site.)
Parcel 42 consists of two lots — the main development lot is an approximately 15,000 square foot vacant lot at the northeast corner of 7th and R Streets, NW (sometimes also referred to as 7th Street and Rhode Island Avenue, NW). The second lot, which is also vacant, sits across the alley to the east of the main parcel and consists of approximately 1,700 square feet. The image below shows the size and location of the parcels.
|Parcel 42 consists of the two lots outlined in red|
The solicitation provides developers with broad discretion in crafting the details of their development proposals, but it states that the District is seeking mixed-use development proposals with ground-floor retail and mixed-income residential units. (The solicitation indicates that developers should "maximize" the number of housing units affordable to households at or below 80% of the area median income for the Washington metropolitan area, but no specific number or percentage of affordable units is required.) The District is encouraging developers to submit development proposals that maximize development density through a planned unit development.
The solicitation also states that District is seeking "high quality architecture" for the project and proposals "are expected to have a signature design, which complements the neighborhood character, and creates a pedestrian friendly environment."
- Responses to the solicitation are due by July 26, 2012
- A short list of developers (selected from the proposals that are submitted) will be announced in the summer of 2012
- A community presentation by the short-listed developers will be held in the fall of 2012
- A development team will be selected for the site in the late fall of 2012
The complete solicitation document is available after the jump.
Parcel 42 Solicitation
The solicitation for the development of Parcel may be viewed below or by clicking .
Parcel 42 -- RFP