WHEN: Monday, April 9, 2012, at 11:30 a.m.
WHERE: Howard Theatre Plaza, 620 T Street, NW
WHAT: The Howard Theatre raises its curtains after a $29 million renovation and a 30-year hiatus with an opening day to celebrate with the community.
SCHEDULE (as of April 4, 2012):
- 11:30 a.m.: Welcome, Saleem Hylton
- 11:35 a.m.: Robert Thompson and The James Brown Experience Band
- 12:00 noon: Reverend Sandra Butler-Truesdale introduces Reverend Trent and clergy for invocation (Melvin Deal, libation; Reverend Ivy Hylton, The Lord’s Prayer in song)
- 12:05 p.m.: Duke Ellington statue unveiling/dedication. Words from the District of Columbia Commission on the Arts and the Humanities; recognition of the Ellington family and statue artist
- 12:15 p.m.: Reverend Sandra Butler-Truesdale introduces speakers: Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton; Mayor Vincent C. Gray; Council Chairman Kwame R. Brown; Councilmember Jim Graham; Councilmember Vincent B. Orange, Jr.; Commissioner Myla Moss (ANC 1B Chairperson)
- 12:30 p.m.: Ribbon cutting; unveiling of “Jazz Man” statue atop theatre. Words from Howard Theatre Restoration (Chip and Malik Ellis) and Brower Hatcher, artist commissioned to create “Jazz Man”
- 12:35 p.m.: Live entertainment. Scheduled performers include: Darlene Dancy, Delonte Copeland, Jimi Smooth, Matthew White, Wendy Hicks, NuEra, Teri Swenton, Velons, Orioles, Skip Mahoney, The Jewels, and Al Johnson
- 2:45 p.m.: Grand finale